Since I own an audiotron.. I think I can comment.. LOL
Quote:
Matt wrote:

It will do that and it's the same price. Can't comment on the audio quality of the one versus the other, but my guess would be that the quality of the stream would be the deciding factor, not the unit.

Exactly. Stream quality will be the ONLY factor. The outputs of both should sound the same, or pretty darn close.. When you have a bad internet connection the streams WILL skip.

Quote:
Gonk wrote:

the Audiotron requires a computer (which also means computer software that must be installed and configured) while the IR1000 is intended to just be hooked up to some sort of Internet connection.

Somewhat.... You don't have to install any software on your computer to make an audiotron run. The audiotron, much like the IR1000 is network appliance. It sits on your network as a node/point. You can either hand enter or configure DHCP to give you an IP. Once they get an IP they can be seen on the network. They both run Windows CE as their operating system. Since I have never seen an IR1000 up close I can only speculate some things. You can configure the audiotron through its web interface. It has its own built in web server to allow you to configure it, much like the way linksys has its web interface to configure their cable/dsl routers. You can configure the audiotron directly from the front of the unit itself, WITHOUT a computer at all. I know, I had to do it. When I first purchased my audiotron they did not have the web interface. A bit coumbersome, but it can be done. The web interface is a convenience. Turtle beach upgrades Firmware alot, so they are always making improvements.. The latest firmware boasts an alarm clock/sleep timer as well as an API for programmer types.

I would bet if you could hook up and make work an IR1000 you could easily hook up an Audiotron. Niether one of these products are for the networkly challenged. You will need to know *something* about computer networking in order to make them work. If you get that far, finding MP3's on your computer hooked up to the network is just as easy as finding the IP number of your favorite stations. Both are very niche products and you will need a computer to help you out with either one. (Where else are you going to find streams??)

I do believe the Outlaws dropped the ball on this one though, no digital out and it doesn't stream MP3's. To make matters worse it's at a price point with an established product that already does.

Jeff