I actually had an unrelated question about the IR1000 that I e-mailed Outlaw about recently, and part of my answer also answered this question. They confirmed that the IR1000 will have DHCP, and that you can alternately select an IP address manually. From the description I got, it will be very similar to setting up TCP/IP for a computer or a router (no surprise here, as there are just certain things that such a device has to be told) -- DHCP is the easiest way, but they're giving you the option to do it manually.

Owl's_Warder, your question of the ISP seeing two computers or one is a good one, and I'm sure one that will be addressed in the manual (and probably the FAQ). Stott pretty much nailed it on the head, too. Apparently the IR1000 doesn't require any monthly subscription to use, but it will need Internet access. If you have broadband with only one computer on it (for example, cable modem with your computer's network card plugged directly into the cable modem), adding the IR1000 without a router will mean that you'll have to lease two IP addresses, which typically costs extra (you'd also need a hub or switch). A router will hide all of your computers (and computer-like devices, *cough* IR1000 *cough*) from the ISP, presenting itself as the only computer. If you don't already have a hub and want to hook one of these up, I'd suggest one of the combination router+hub devices (Linksys makes a 4-port switch / router that we have at work, it's pretty nice).

------------------
Gonk