Quote:
My guess would be so that he can see the displays when his screen is lowered.

Nice call, Owl. Exactly! In fact the bottom two shelves of each rack are below the bottom of the screen. On the very bottom is the 950 and right above it is my RP91 DVD player. On the right side the bottom shelf houses my LD Player and the second shelf up houses my Sony 9000ES DVD/SACD player. The result is that I not only can see the display on the 950 (no OSD display via component) but I can change DVDs and LDs without having to raise the screen.

Works to perfection and does not distract me in the least.

Of course, having the 950 on the bottom was a royal pain in the butt (actually the back and the elbows) while switching everything out three times! I'm done. Finito. Case closed. This 950 has worked to perfection.

And Matthew,

You really should consider increasing the shelf size somehow to provide your 755 with a bit more breathing room. I placed it in the 8" shelf upon receiving it and it ran very warm (as you are experiencing now.) Even though it contains protective circuitry to prevent overheating and it never did overheat while in the rack it can't be good in the long haul to let the 755/770 run very warm. As soon as I added the 4" headroom it ran cool, very cool, from that point on. As a test I've been running it almost continuously for over 4 days now and it is still cool. The fan-less design of the 755/770 requires a "chimney effect" to provide cooling. If you block the top or bottom you negate that effect. Sure, you could add a fan, but that's probably going to introduce some noise. Add the headroom and it will run as cool as it did when you had it out of the shelf.

------------------
RAF

My HT (latest update 04/17/02) Now includes Outlaw 950 and Outlaw 755

My HT - Updated 05/29/07