Interesting question and one that I was able to talk to the designer himself about, thanks to an Outlaw connection. I'm using the 755 for the three front channels (L/C/R) and the two side surrounds (my Marantz MA700 monoblocks are powering the two rear surrounds). I was curious about which channels were connected to which toroid. My feeling was that if I used the bigger toroid (the configuration is 3/2 with one transformer having 3 secondary windings) for the front soundstage, then when I listened to 2 channel stereo I'd have a more robust transformer working. I was also concerned about any power steering (one of the reasons that some people like monoblocks because that doesn't happen with no shared components.)

The point of all this is that the engineer told me not to worry about which amps used which transformers since it would never show up in any audible way. The 755 and 770 have been designed so that they have so much reserve power or capacity (or whatever term is correct here) so that power steering never becomes a problem. And, since Audiophile Mike brought up an interesting point, I think I'll make sure that the two front channels (L/R) are using amps from separate toroids, just to be extra sure for 2 channel listening. This appears to make more sense than my original idea of choosing the three amp toroid for the front soundstage, although it's most likely a real world tossup. Besides, banana plugs make the switch a breeze!

Incidentally, the major reason for designing the 755/770 with two transformers instead of one was, as someone mentioned, to define the size of the case. Not only would the 755/770 case have been deeper but, more importantly, it would have gone over 8" tall and only fit in custom shelving. Even at ~7.5" + ~1/2" for the feet it's a tight fit in my Sanus stand. At least the feet keep the air moving near the bottom and there's a little air flow on top (remember, there are no fans in the 755). Also, power regulation is completely separate for each amp as are other components. Only the transformers are shared (according to the designer.)

I hope some of this information is helpful.

------------------
RAF

My HT (latest update 02/14/02) Now includes Outlaw 950

[This message has been edited by Robert A Fowkes (edited March 15, 2002).]

My HT - Updated 05/29/07