Ahhh, it begins to get very tricky if you do set the delays (i.e., *different* distances for speakers) in the player. The reason being is that setting distances guarentees that the sound arriving at the listening position is in phase. But it is purposefully put out of phase heading to your power amps to allow it to arrive in phase where you sit. OK, so if that is true, then you are sending out of phase material to the 950, which is then doing the analog BM thing, and *then* you are mixing out of phase info into the sub/LFE channel. (I.e., in this particular case, "out of phase" doesn't mean exactly 180 degs out, which is worst case, but what it does mean, is simply that not everything is perfectly in phase anymore.)

In the end, you have a choice of 2 relative evils:

1) Set distances in the player and get resulting phase issues in the LFE/sub channel.

2) Don't set distances in the player, and the BM will work correctly, but overall the sound from all the speakers will not be in phase where you sit.

I have always chosen #2, but each person has to decide for themselves in their system which is "worse." Some people depending on their system, room, and setup, might not notice any difference either way.

[This message has been edited by Kevin C Brown (edited August 13, 2003).]

KevinVision 7.1 ... New and Improved !!