Quote:
Originally posted by gonk:
First, let's look at DVD-Audio, which will come from the 3800's analog outputs. With no sub, you will want to turn the sub off on the 3800. You will also want to leave the 950's analog bass management turned off -- we're going to count on the 3800 to re-route the LFE to the mains for DVD-Audio (which I hope it will do)

I don't think the 3800 redirects LFE to the mains if the subwoofer is set to "off". It'll just ignore whatever is on that channel. This is the case for DVD-A as well as DD and DTS that are decoded by the 3800's DACs. Unfortunately, Denon believes the "redirect" functionality belongs exclusively to the receiver or pre/pro, not DVD players.

To be sure, you can test this by using a setup DVD that has a test tone or channel ID for LFE only (Avia has such a track). Using your digital output from the Denon, you will hear the material. When you switch to the analog output, you won't get anything.

My observations were made on a Denon 2900 and I asked Denon for the rationale given above. I'm pretty sure the 3800 shares the same implementation

[This message has been edited by DollarBill (edited October 06, 2003).]