First, let's look at DVD-Audio, which will come from the 3800's analog outputs. With no sub, you will want to turn the sub off on the 3800. You will also want to leave the 950's analog bass management turned off -- we're going to count on the 3800 to re-route the LFE to the mains for DVD-Audio (which I hope it will do), and with the analog bass management off at the 950 the five full-range channels will pass through unaltered. Otherwise, the bass would be stripped out of the mains, which would cut the bottom end out of everything. Oh, and the reason that the Denon doesn't ask for crossover points is that it has a single global crossover that is fixed at a preset frequency (probably 80Hz, maybe 100Hz). That's entirely typical of a DVD player's bass management, but the 950 includes a more robust digital bass management system.

For digital output from the 3800, only the controls in the 950 are relevent. You'll want to set the mains to "large" and the sub to "off". This will cause the mains to receive all low frequency signals from other channels as well as the LFE information that the sub would otherwise get. Also, with the mains set to large, the crossover point for them will be ignored (you can still adjust it, but the 950 doesn't use it).

I think that the 950's delay and channel calibration settings apply to the 5.1 analog input as well as the other inputs (somebody out there correct me if I'm wrong), so I would leave the Denon set to 0ft for distance settings (no delay) and +/-0dB for channel calibration (no adjustment) -- as with crossovers, you only want to apply delays once, and if you adjust the trim in two places you'll end up with either too much adjustment on DVD-Audio discs or not enough on everything else.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review