The 950 offers different crossover frequencies for each speaker position. Should all speaker crossovers be set the same, or is it better to select a crossover which utilizes each channels ability to produce low frequencies. For example, with an Epic 80 system (which I own) do I set my Outlaw 950 to crossover bass to my SVS sub at the same frequency (100hz), or do I vary...setting the mains (M80ti) at 40hz, and the center (VP 150) and surrounds (QS-8) to 100 hz? Is there a magic frequency calculater (2X the -3db limit) that these frequencies should be set (which would be very high for the center and surrounds)? 80 hz seems to be too low for the center and surrounds, as they are well past their -3 db point before they get to 80 hz. On the other hand, 60 hz seems like I would be wasting 2/3 octave of available response from the M80s.

I previously had 5 identical speakers, so this question never came up. I always liked the idea of a triple crossover, but it seems that many people (who probably don't have the feature) say I should still set the towers at 80hz, even though they are only down 1db at 40 hz.

Help!?!?!

Bill Polley

[This message has been edited by willscary (edited September 27, 2003).]