I think, IMHO, YMMV, yadda, yadda that the stereo CD capability of the 950 is purely a backward compatability feature.

It's a multichannel pre/pro. Any 'test' of it's sonic capabilities should include all of the formats it can play.

To say the 950 is lacking vs a Denon receiver's pre outs when the test is comprised of a stereo CD, through a digital coax cable, that you 'know how it should sound' makes no sense to me.

I mean no disrespect, but I doubt that many people know how any CD 'should' sound. It's more like how someone is used to hearing it.

Unless you have a reference quality playback system that reproduces the mastering engineer's playback monitors, that is. Even then, you aren't addressing the 950's abilities with DD, DTS, DTS-CS, DVD-A, SACD and matrixed stereo modes (for which it was primarily designed).

I just wanted to make the clarification because it wasn't specific to the original question and I personally dislike threads that go off on the stereo CD tangent.

As far as surround formats, I find the 950 to be very neutral, detailed and flexible. If anything, it leans a tad to the warm side in low end reproduction.

Despite what the sterophiles might claim, stereo CDs are the lossiest, most 'lacking' of all digital formats and a poor way to judge the 950.

Maybe I should just say what I really think