Having done plenty of work ‘on site,’ apart from truly professional installations, and having to interconnect various gear, not ideally matched, I have seen varied effects of poorly matched output/input impedances. The output and input stages of some equipment are well designed and can tolerate varying loads well. Other gear is sensitive to something other than the ideal match, and one possible effect is a skewed frequency response – extra ‘bright’ in some cases, high-end roll-off in other cases. These are just two possible effects. (If I recall correctly, I have not any real complaints about this situation with the Outlaw pre/pro married to an Outlaw amp.)

Then there is the subjective aspect, what I like and what I am used to, versus the change with a new piece of gear installed. Was the frequency response before the change near ideal and since the change it is not? Or is it now closer to ‘flat’ but I was used to or liked it more the other way? There is no way I can know without controlled testing and measurement.

There is no way I can know how a change in my individual system will sound until I try it. So, regardless of the number of people in these posts that feel Outlaw gear is ‘too bright,’ or ‘not bright enough,’ or even ‘the perfect balance of warmth and brightness, the best I’ve heard under (‘X’ thousands of dollars)’ I think the 30-day in-home trial is the best way to decide for yourself.

FYI: I changed from an Onkyo THX-certified ampli-tuner to an Outlaw 950/770 combo. IMHO, a marked improvement and worth the change to separates.