mxy brings up good points.

Incognito...what cables are you using? for speakers? I had Acoustic research master series and they always sounded bright and harsh. The best investment I ever made for my theatre was Bettercables premium II speaker cable.

The sound is nowhere near as bright, and the bass definitely tightened up a bit

I use all Outlaw cables, wether it be for analog or digital. Toslink connections sounded way to bright in my setup, digital coax was again, an improvement.

Speaker placement. It is obviously different in everyroom. First off, I need to know what Def Tech models you have. They may not be bi-polar. Some people use the CLR models for mains and they aren't bipolar. If you Have the power towers or the the non power towers, such as the BP30's, 10's, 8', and 6B's, Pull them away from your back wall ASAP.

I know Definitive says 5" will do but I find with any speaker, the further away from the walls the better. Ofcourse you'll lose bass, but I'll take great overall sound then a annoying sound with a lot of bass.

Mine are 34" from the back wall, and 22" away from the side walls. I sit about 9 feet from my speaker and they are very slightly toed in towards my seating position. I have BP30's for mains. I am interested to hear what you have. If you have power towers, start off with the powered subs facing inward.

Try new cables, speaker and source, and try repositioning. The repositioning alone will do wonders to tame the brightness.

Get back to us and tell us what models you have. I have dealt with all models from Def Tech and will do my best to help.

------------------
Play it LoUd!!

http://community.webshots.com/user/spoonmandts