Quote:
Originally posted by Philip Brandes:

Engineers don't create each soundwave by hand, they use equipment--most of it by Lexicon, in fact--

Cheers,
Philip Brandes

Actually, in fact, most of it is not done by Lexicon. Lexicon is famous for it's world class reverbs. Companies like Drawmer, Avalon Design, Focusrite, Summit Audio, Manley, etc., are known for dynamics processors, and EQ, along with Pro Tools, Motu, Steinberg, Apogee, Tascam, Kurzweil, etc., on the digital hardware/software side.

Really, the point is not whether there is any processing done in the production/mastering of a multichannel audio
source. It's more the question of whether or not it should be applied during playback.

I agree with SH. There should be this much fervor on the subject of room acoustics, placement, phase adjustment, etc. to get what was intended to the ear as correctly as possible in any given setup.

OTOH, if processing your soundfield at playback is your thing, that's fine. Lexicon is a very good Company that produces very good products.

I'm sure Lex fans know this, but for those who don't, the Lex 960 multichannel digital effects system is in the neighborhood of $15,000.00. I don't see how anyone thinks he or she can improve upon the effects of this sort of proccessing (in the right hands)after market with the pale versions that are available to the consumer.

I don't use DSP modes because they sound lame to me. SACD, DVD-A and movie soundtracks are getting better and better. Blue ray is on the way. SH has his preference...I agree with him but even if I didn't, I would certainly respect his choice.