Quote:
Originally posted by soundhound:
I listened to it at a studio DVD authoring facility on at least 3 occasions, and I'm sure they were the latest versions of the system (Lexicon is widely used in professional facilities).
Mi Casa Studios, by any chance? If so, I'd be even more curious if you could answer to my original question about whether you were listening to 5.1 or 2-channel material when you demo'd LOGIC7. I'd really appreciate an answer.
Quote:
Processing that varies the soundstaging I spot instantly, and this is distracting to me. Keep im mind that I work on movie dubbing stages and hear soundtracks in their original master form, so I pick up on differences.
With all due respect to your professional experience and ability to "pick up on differences", I don't understand how the soundstaging could have been varied by LOGIC7 processing. When L7 is applied to a 5.1 soundtrack, the front channels are left untouched: 3 channels, 3 speakers; what's there to process? The only processing that occurs is the extraction of surround-back content, the difference being that L7 creates stereo rears rather than the more common mono surround-back channel extraction. Is that ONE difference what you were able to "spot instantly" and was it so "distracting" compared to EX/ES decoding or even the 950's CES back channel extraction?
Quote:
Personally, I think in a properly set-up system, what the engineers do in the vast majority of instances sounds worse when "second-guessed" by electronic means. Especially in a system set up for 7.1 (even with the back surrounds mirroring the sides), I find the envelopment and integration with the mains very satisfactory, certainly better than Logic 7 or any other post-processing.
What, in your experience, was LOGIC7 doing to hinder "integration with the mains"? I ask because you obviously have a personal dislike of LOGIC7 but have yet to give any reasons why.

Soundhound, because I've read your posts and know your experience in the industry, I'm reluctant to dismiss your comments. However, had I read those same comments from anyone else, I'd conclude that they came from someone who'd never heard LOGIC7. Seriously, if someone told you that they didn't like to use the 950's CES mode because the additional processing made the vocals harder to hear and made the bass too bloaty, wouldn't those comments leave you wondering if they'd actually heard CES processing?

Best,
Sanjay