Quote:

From what you are saying, you imply the sub will then be crossed over at 160Hz which is exactly opposite of what Audioholics.com has reported.

No, that is not what I said. This is what I said:

Quote:
But based on that dude's review, the 950 would send all main, center and rear info below 40 Hz (the main xover) to the sub.

I don't think you are understanding what I wrote. The way that it is supposed to work, is that each channel is low passed at a different freq, *then* each of those "parts" is added to the LFE signal and sent to the sub. Each of the high passed part of each signal is sent to the respective channel.

You understand that a crossover is two parts, right? A high passed filter and a low pass filter? All of the info above the high pass freq for that channel is sent to that channel's main speaker (left front, center, whatever). All of the info below the low pass freq for that channel is sent to the sub, added to the dedicated LFE channel. The high pass and low pass freqs are typically the same. But in the 950's case, according to the review, they aren't, leaving gaps in the response.

Let's try again for the rears:

Quote:
Rears set to small, fc =160Hz: rear info above 160 Hz goes to the rears. Rear info below 160 Hz goes to the sub.

This is how it's supposed to work. The problem is that according to the review, the rears are actually low passed at 40 Hz to the sub, but high passed at 160 Hz to the surrounds & rears. So because the high pass is 160 & the low pass is 40, from 40 to 160 Hz is missing.

Make sense?

BTW, the Sony's individual crossovers work correctly. But it can be confusing, because in addition to the crossover for each "set" of speakers, the TA-E9000ES also has a *separate* crossover (low pass) setting specifically for the LFE signal, apart from the info crossed over (low passed) from the main channels.

[This message has been edited by Kevin C Brown (edited June 13, 2003).]

KevinVision 7.1 ... New and Improved !!