Interesting, he also notes the 180 deg phase shift that *some* of us have spotted between the analog and digital crossovers.

But ...

Quote:
What I found was the [digital] subwoofer crossover setting was dependent on the front main channels setting regardless if the front main channels were set to large or small. As a result, I found that if I had the rears and/or center set to say 160Hz, while the front mains were set to 60Hz, a gap of 100Hz of bass was prominent between the rear/center channels and the subwoofer. Thus the 100Hz gap of bass was not reproduced by any channel.

This surprises me in that I specifically asked about this, maybe 3 to 4 months ago here in this forum, and Scott said that each set of speakers was high and low passed with the specific freq setting for that set of speakers. (No global low pass to the sub.)

The only thing I can say in Outlaw's defense, if that is correct, is that I have tried to measure freq response using the sweeps on Avia as well, and it's a lost cause. This is a much better way:

http://www.etfacoustic.com/

In general, it's easy to see he did a more thorough review than most HT mags, and in spite of the issues he found, he still liked it a lot.

[This message has been edited by Kevin C Brown (edited June 09, 2003).]

KevinVision 7.1 ... New and Improved !!