Bosso:

I completely agree with your views on the importance of that "800 pound gorilla" - the listening room. A room that has certain ratios of length x depth x height can produce uncorrectable peaks and nulls in frequency response. Poorly thought out acoustic treatment (or none at all) can obscure the strengths of even the best equipment. Uncontrolled echoes, especially "slap echoes" can render even the best speakers ineffective at presenting a realistic image of the original performance.

Of course not all people can build a dedicated room, but there is a lot that can be done by simple arrangement of the equipment in the room and some thought given to the influence of objects near the speakers.

I really wish this topic would receive as much attention as is lavished on the differences between "brand A" vs "brand B". Listening room acoustics may not be as sexy or exciting a topic as the latest and greatest pre/pro, but believe me, it is far more important if the objective is the most realistic and faithful reproduction possible.

[This message has been edited by soundhound (edited April 10, 2003).]