Quote:
Originally posted by Ricky:
bossobass,

Why do you assume that the analog stage has little effect on the sound quality (via digital and analog connections)? Are you saying that stereo preamps basically sound the same? Take the Aragon Soundstage, it has the same analog ciruitry as the Aragon Aurum preamp. So the Aurum would not sound any different from the 950 (used as a 2 channel preamp)?

My four rears varying between ~ 4ft and ~ 8ft. Do you think distance settings could matter in generating a more cohesive soundfield (for DVDs).

sorry...i must not have said it succinctly enough. i do think the analog stage is important. you, as the initiator of the 'whatever' preamp's superiority, have the burden of proof. and, in this case especially, only the facts will give an opinion validity.

on the point of speaker distance, this is where you and i differ. i would suggest building a room that isn't speaker distance handicapped. there are no diminishing returns there (unless you gold plate the walls). the time and money required are much better spent on the listening environment (which remains beyond our lifespan) than the audio hardware (which comes and goes with the changing technological winds) and the value increases with time. i'm a licensed builder, and residential design/drafting are 2 of the many things i do. the cost is not an issue with me, because it's where i live and i'm not of insufficient means.

of course i am aware of the importance of speaker placement. mine are all PRECISELY placed.

so, i understand if one of your issues is speaker distance (digital delay, which you don't have in analog) tweakability. it's just that, to me, it isn't a weak point for the 950.