Sorry, I never told you what to purchase. I never "reviewed" your choice of preamp. I just take exception to unfounded trouncing of other's equipment choices, especially from those who are unwilling and unable to back up those opinions with hard facts, instead of personal opinion and hype. You and Ricky (Minime?) started this whole topic by your insistance on the inferiority of the 950. I don't insist that anybody go by my word alone. I have done a lot of listening, and hear master material as a routine part of my work. I hear live orchestras during scoring sessions as part of my work. I am a musician myself. My idea of an A/B comparison? - how about walking 20 feet from the scoring stage where the musicians are, into the control room. I don't presume to try to hype one product over another, but if someone wishes to take into account my experience, and my equipment choices, then that's their choice.

I use tubes simply because I like them. They can be implemented to impart a "tube character" or not, depending on what is desired. Solid state will always sound like, well, solid state.

Why don't you respond to the last quesion from my last post? Surely you have some opinion! if a component is absolutely transparent and doesn't add or subtract anything sonically, how much more "perfect" does it need to be?

[This message has been edited by soundhound (edited April 09, 2003).]