Quote:
Originally posted by boblinds:

I have NHT speakers all the way around in my 950-based system and they sound just fine, thank you very much. (I also happen to have an Aragon amp in that system which sounds great.) So you just lay off insulting my speakers, AGAssarsson!!! (Glad you like your B&W's. They are nice, aren't they?)

More to the point, IMHO, is that Ricky's review is stylistically biased (like so much TV news, for instance). We don't have any standard here, just fatter/thinner, bigger/smaller etc. with the negative adjectives consistently applied to the Outlaw.

Dear boblinds:

Please forgive me for piling on the NHT's. I believe you made one of my main points, abet more directly. Actually, I do not dislike the sound quality of NHT's, but my personal tastes have led me to choose another speaker. I am wed to the B&W sound contour and other associated sonic characteristics, so when I said I was biased, I was really telling it like it is. After almost 20 years with various B&W speakers, I find that my tastes have evolved with their product line. Although I have owned and do listen to other brands; at this time, I would not choose another speaker, no matter the price.

All the sonic attributes that Ricky used to distinguish between the Aragon and the 950 pre-pro could easily be said of any speaker, and with even more intensity. I strongly believe that speakers, their placement, and the rooms' acoustical profile will have significantly greater impact on overall system quality than the differences between any two reasonably qualified pre-pros. For the many contented Outlaws, the 950 qualifies to this end.

As Ricky felt at home in this forum to denigrate the 950 on it's home turf, even to the extent that he provides counsel to potential 950 owners about the alternative products that he clearly believes leave the 950 in the dust. "Thin, harsh, narrow soundstage, shallow soundstage, lack of detail, poor rendering of female vocals"... these are not terms of endearment.

Given his own clear and aggressive opinions in this forum, he could not tolerate even the suggestion that his choice of speakers might have the same sonic limitations when compared to others. Ricky's retort, " Hurl all the personal insults you want. And attacking NHT 3.3s?". Woooooo baby; when the shoe is on the other foot, don't we get sensitive.

It is just as simple as that. How dare one suggest his devotion to his speakers might be as subjective as our selection of a pre-pro? This is a 950 forum so he has diplomatic immunity? For all those who seek to find the silver lining to Ricky's obsession, may I suggest the new French Outlaw 950 forum.