i've said it before, and i'll repeat...rick, it's good to have you here. though your search seems to have no particular goal in mind, or you just enjoy the upgrade hunt (actually, the stage one is your first REAL upgrade, from the previous equipment list you post) more than it's end (what i refer to as being 'itchy'), i stand to gain from your posts. that's always a welcome thing.

i just can't read the parts of ANY pre-pro review that center on '2 channel performance' with all those 'thin, open, fast, tight, wide, harsh, smooth, bright, warm...', well, you get the gist.

who buys a pre-pro for it's 2 channel performance? no one with sense. none of them, at any price are 'audiophile' quality in this arena.

if you want soundstage and depth and clarity, etc., dvd-a/sacd/dts-cd are the formats to review. these are the best of the multi-channel formats...the ones that really matter.

try to follow this:
if '2 channel' is the bulk of your listening enjoyment, the 950 is the obvious pre-pro choice. with the rather substantial monies you save, you can buy a good cd transport and stereo preamp (the player being the most important piece in the cd 'chain').

it makes much more sense to purchase a used stereo pre, as they've been around forever and have been documented as to performance nuances and engineering principals from every conceivable angle, so your 'deal' is predictable as to outcome.

at ces, i heard a $60K pair of signature phoenix speakers by calix. the cd was specifically selected, as were the cables, pre, amp and player. it sounded as good as i've ever heard a stereo cd sound. but...it was still, unmistakably, a stereo cd.

to contrast, i heard a multi-channel sacd (through a sony, off-the-shelf player) at spectron/von schweikert's room. though spectron's class d amps are pricey, the system was still much less dinero. the sound was remarkably better. use any words in the english language to descibe the sound. it was just remarkably better.

you may argue how many people still prefer stereo cd, how much hardware and software is out there, yadda, yadda, blah, blah. the stereo cd is a dinosaur. it is not why i would buy ANY pre-pro. as i've said, i have a 30 year old bob carver, a 25 year old crown and a 12 year old macintosh stereo pre, any of which easily rival the stage one's 2 channel performance.

the point is, we all have specific reasons for our 950 purchase. because we were very specific in our reasons, we are mostly very happy with the purchase. for me, cd performance had ZERO to do with it.

analog I/O is the reason for 'no aragon for me'. i'll wait. the lex MC12B is the only existing pre-pro with what i really want. but, get real with the stupid price. straight-up trade? DONE. otherwise, i'll wait. outlaw will have it soon enough, at a price i'll pay. a lot more multi-channel software will be available by then and better uni-players will be here, too. (maybe even one from outlaw).

each person in this forum has his/her reasons to prefer the 950. trying to convince them that their reasoning is grossly flawed is a pretty dumb move.

now you know why my first post was the short version answer. the above is strictly my opinion. as we say, YMMV.