Antistatic precaution is not just a matter of avoiding a total failure. The following is information from ESD Systems:

In many cases, ESD events of only a few volts is enough to cause serious permanent damage to semiconductor devices.. At the microscopic level, the damaged area looks like a moon crater or a welded spot where the silicon materials where melted and fused together. ESD events do not always destroy an electronic component immediately on the first occurrence. Sometimes, many events occur over a period of time. Each occurrence adds a bit more damage until the component finally fails. Any damage is always permanent and cumulative. Once the device finally fails completely, the failure is referred to as a catastrophic ESD failure. ESD damage which is not catastrophic leaves the component operable, but damaged, such that it will fail at a later time under normal stresses. The worst part of ESD is that the damage occurs deep within the device at a microscopic level, so you cannot ever see it to verify that ESD was the culprit.
Many electronic companies, large and small, spend a lot of money each year employing ESD preventative practices to reduce the amount of scrap product produced by ESD. Since ESD cannot ever be completely eliminated, you could say that "It's not a matter of if a part will fail, but when."
The scariest thing about ESD is that there are thousands of little computer stores and repair shops around who put together PCs or fix VCRs, TVs, etc. and sell chips who do not practice ESD prevention in any way. Some have told me that they know about ESD and that it really is nothing to worry about with today's technology which is a shock (no pun intended) to me since today's technology is more complex and sensitive than it has ever been. It really bothers me that these people are so much more interested in making a buck than in doing quality work that they will not make the slightest effort to protect your product from ESD even though you think you are paying a professional to take care of anything that could damage your equipment. Part of the reason they prefer not to use ESD preventative practices is that they are just plain lazy or stupid, but the main reason has to do with money. ESD has a way of bringing customers back to the repair shops since most ESD events are not immediately catastrophic. It's people who do business like this that make our world worse for everybody. As far as I'm concerned, this kind of malpractice is rampant, and is the same as stealing from innocent hard working citizens.

Just a word of warning. Be sure that the service center has and uses ESD procedures.