the 1st question is, is the 950's LP filter a 2nd order filter, or a 4th order filter.

the second question is, what is the LP point set to on your sub. (you're kinda screwed with this one, as the 950 has a global LFE LP point of 120hz, and the redirected bass is low passed @ 80hz. since the 2 signals are summed, you can't control the LFE's LP at the sub).

3rd, what is the low pass point of the LFE sent from the player (if it's 120hz-150hz, you have cascading filters). there should NOT BE a filter on the LFE channel in the player when in dvd-a mode, but, unfortunately, i bet there is.

so...set your sub's LP at 40hz (let the 'hole' exist, for the test).

move your sub.

change the player's sub distance.

try the test.

remember... your rears are much closer to you than your mains/center (about 4 feet, as i recall), so pick a dvd-a disc that has little bass in the rears.

BTW, none of these scenarios exist in my BM system. i have total control of LFE and RB separately. volume, phase, LP point, LP slope and i get LFE in DTS-ES. i can monitor each signal and see if there is signal and if it's clipping at the preamp and/or amp.

you still may be right about the 950's analog filter, but there are too many other things going on to rush to that conclusion.