I'm not sure how 7 stereo generates signals to other channels, but I was thinking about something sdurani posted recently regarding how some matrix decoders works -- it is possible that 7 stereo generates a LFE channel and produces non-full range signals for the other channels...

Quote:
sdurani said :
I used to think that modern matrix decoders (like Neo:6 and PL II) used to first generate 5 full range channels, which would then be bass managed into a 5.1 speaker set-up. However, it turned out to work a little differently than that. In receivers and processor I've had experience with, the matrix decoders did not generated full range signals for every channel unless they were all set to 'large'. If any of them were set to 'small', they got a derived signal that only contained sounds above the crossover point. It's not like that channel was full-range content that existed discretely on the recording. Since it this derived channel never had full-range content, there's no bass to move around. Each channel gets only what's above the crossover point.

It's a pretty random hypothesis, but I've never really seen specifics on how the 5/7 stereo mode actually works.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review