Greetings

First of all I would like to say that I really enjoy this forum. Everyone seems so genuinely interested in helping everyone out without "putting on airs" if you know what I mean, which is very refreshing.

My quandry is one I'm sure alot of you have been through, so please help me out if you can. For six weeks now I have been researching the best way to assemble a surround sound system which will be used 50/50 for ht & music. I'll try to keep this short by boiling things down to where I am at right now. I have already purchased speakers (Ascend Acoustics CBM 170s x 5 and Hsu vtf-2 sub) and dvd player (Panny xp-50).

I just can't seem to make up my mind on how I want to power and process. At first I thought an Outlaw combo would be a no-brainer (950/755). I love the direct marketing approach and, based on all the feedback, support is incredible. Throw in the 30 day demo and what have I got to lose?

Well, bear with me, heres my concerns: 1) I live in an old house (circa 1950) with electical issues; no grounded outlets and I guess I would just say somewhat limited current resourses. I am a little worried about meeting the electical demands of a dedicated 200 watt x 5 amp plus associated equiptment. I have not run into any problems in the past, but correct me if I'm wrong, this thing is gonna need a lot of clean "juice" to perform.

My financial resources are limited. The Outlaw combo will stretch me pretty thin so bringing in an electrician like I did when I installed my computer set-up is probably something that would tip the scales toward going for a mid-level receiver.

I listened to an Onkyo sr800 yesterday fully expecting to hate the sound, but really not bad. Had a pure source mode which sounded good for 2-channel performance which is my biggest concern in an ht receiver. I know seperates is the way I would rather go and the amp section is not likely up to snuff but .... could save alot and not worry as much about current draw (Onkyo rated to draw max 6.1 amp. from socket not sure about 755 but its got to be alot more).

So feel free to correct any miscreant conclusions I have deluded myself into and any advice will be appreciated.

What I would really appreciate is if anyone with a stong understanding of the electical needs of power amps could tell me if my reservations are justified or not.

And all you happy 950 owners out there; if you were somewhat strapped financially would you still opt for the 950/amp combo or go for the mid-level receiver of your choice?

One other thing, my listening area is not that large (~12x16x8ht) so I could consider a smaller amp. In case I wasn't clear system my priorities are 50/50 music and ht while hoping to emphasize musicality.

Thanks in advance,

Mike