I received the 950/770 combo on 1/3/03. The first 20 days were a somewhat enjoyable experience but also a frustrating one. Initial problems I had with the remote were addressed by Outlaw and resolved, although I'm still working on it, however, the questions I had about the 950 and my Velodyne 1500 subwoofer were not adequately answered. I am posting this subject as a last chance to try to get my questions answered before I decide to send the 950 processor back. Any suggestions are welcome since my 30 days with the unit are up on FEB 3. The 950/770 combo replaces a Lexicon CP3 processor with the Acurus 250w/ch, Acurus 200w/ch x3, and Adcom 60w/ch, plus the Velodyne f1500 250w powered subwoofer, which was basically a 7 channel system. My initial impressions are that the sound quality is good but more 2 dimensional and less spacious with an obvious improvement in surround effects and separation, however the Lexicon did not include Dolby Digital, DTS, ProLogic 2. My speaker system consists of Mirage M5si front L/R, MCsi center, and matched mini speakers at the sides and back surrounds and a Velodyne V1215 subwoofer with the back surrounds. The problem is this: I feel like I have almost lost all manual control of the Velodyne 1500's volume control when connected to the 950 processor. With the Lexicon, I had the Velodyne's line level inputs connected to the Lexicon main speaker L/R outputs which allowed me to still adjust bass levels at the Velodyne. The problem I am having with the 950 is that
1. When the subwoofer's line level input is connected to the 950 subwoofer output I get popping sounds from the subwoofer unless the 950's channel calibration subwoofer level is set at -15 which is its' lowest level and the subwoofer volume is set at 2 1/2 which is close to turning the subwoofer off.( The subwoofer's internal amp volume level can range from 0 to 10). I am not able to turn the subwoofer volume up above these levels because the subwoofer starts to make the popping sounds and since I can't turn the subwoofer level up at the 950 or the velodyne there's been a noticeable decrease in bass impact and slam. The bass sounds anemic at times with movies that were totally impressive before. All levels were calibrated with the 950 at "00" reference volume level and a radioshack sound meter set at 72 Db c-weighting. I also tried to connect the subwoofer's line level to the 950's main front speaker outputs using "y" connectors (with the front speaker conf. set to large and subwoofer off and on) but I still hear the popping sound if I turn the subwoofer's volume up past the 2 1/2 setting. I have tried with the 950's analog bass management switch on and off. Bass impact and slam is critical for my enjoyment of movie soundtracks so I hope someone can shed light on this problem. I also hope my explanation of the problem is understandable.