I demoed some Klispch (Tweeter UE model ranges) and decided against them. I find your last couple of posts informative because I’m always looking for the ‘why’ behind why I prefer one thing (or don’t). Wishing to understand the reason particular products, possibly by their design, will have qualities I gravitate towards.
When I had a very short demo period and ended by choosing the Vienna’s much of the material I took with me were CD’s the only DVD I included was ‘Donnie Darko’ which at a certain dB level and in certain portions of the soundtrack is difficult for speakers tending to push them into distortion so I thought it would be a great test. It’s funny you mentioned some choose Klispch for its dynamics for HT. Although this area of capability was very important to me…with the guys here we spend many hours on blockbuster DVD’s. But I prioritized in my purchase that the speakers could handle music in a certain range and in a certain way that the Klispch fell short (for me), and I went with the Vienna’s. I felt the Vienna’s did not do (what they shine at), with busy HT type passages, - the Vienna’s are capable but not jaw-dropping for most HT, (although they have moments) dependent on Soundtrack. . I do not mean to state I feel they are incoherent or thin in detail or any characteristics as negative as that for HT, - but there is some ‘lack’ I sense that I can’t quite put my finger on. Maybe in part the “drivers on flat plane effect” (among other possibilities I’m trying to decipher) that you were detailing. Regardless, - several other speaker choices like the Martin Logans or Klipsch did not ‘move’ me with CD’s. I won’t give up listening to Electrostatics or horns or any other implementation whenever available to hear. But reading posts such as yours help me understand why sometimes I might lean this way or that.

SH and Charlie, this is one portion of why I enjoy the forum, for when those with particular expertise in certain passionate favorite topics let go a little of that info for fun. I’d say in virtual terms it’s the night break, - when the saddles are on the ground we’ve rolled up our interconnects, the moon is full and the cattle are quiet and we are all hanging around the
keeping good company.

Thanks for the share. (and the patience).

[This message has been edited by Smart Little Lena (edited January 27, 2003).]