Quote:
Originally posted by soundhound:

The post was really directed at those crazies like me who have really sensitive speakers: then Smart Little Lena (bless her heart) picked up on the post and a thread-fest ensued. If you had ever seen my setup, you would know that it is not even remotely typical of what a sane person would do, but that's just me

Dear SoundHound:

Your post was exactly on point. Actually, I have been following this topic forum with great interest, but I thought (with a little nudge) you could make a more clear case for the existence of tube amps so that us deputy's could get a handle on it. You did a great job.

There are many who believe that solid state amps are the logical choice for all. Most of my clients are of the misconception that 'solid state amplification' means digital signal throughout, and that 'tube amplification' equals more coloration and distortion. Some seem to have suggested these falsehoods in this thread as well.

As I believe you stated, the crossover distortion of a typical solid state amplifier at very low power levels is a dynamic condition that is not compatible with your speakers. A speaker with 106dB sensitivity will benefit from the design/performance characteristics of your tube amps. It is quite simply... amazing how small the power requirement is for moderate levels of volume (signal level) in your situation.

It seems to me that it must be a labor of love for you to make your speakers work as well as they do. This level of passion and expertise serves you well. For the rest of us who will never jump in the deep end of the pool; less sensitive speakers, and more powerful solid state amps like those made by Outlaw are probably the logical choice.

Thank you for your kind response.

Allan