I gave him my recommendation that he keep his lower power amp to drive them, as it probably has enough power for the job.

And that’s what startled me. Due to the first of the two guys I mentioned recently asking if I felt added amperage would make a difference (worth the expenditure) to a purchase of a HK8000 which is rated around 110 watts x 5 channels. He had mentioned his speakers sensitivity (maybe Polk at 89). And I had give him a hearty yes, that I thought he would benefit and that I would 'hear' a difference in that sort of setup from adding watts and using the HK as a pre. Same scenario with the second guy who was looking at receivers and asked what I thought about the advantages of separates.

Now I’m prob in no danger of being asked these type questions by guys who own anything with sensitivity above 98 (as you point out it’s rarer than not in most setups) not knowing enough to match his speakers to his amps. Unless he inherited some gear, or just purchased used from someone and has never been into AV before. But I know in those 2 recent moments my brain was not prioritizing, - figure back from the speaker sensitivity (first). I DON’T LIKE being asked (too much pressure) I like talking about AV but not giving someone advice who appears to know less than I without enough experience to take me seriously when I state I’m clear on this fact (ex: you HAVE to purchase a 2-channel amp to use the HK8 as a 7.1 setup regardless that the box states it’s a 7.1 receiver)…but check into the parameters of, -some other subject were discussing because I’m vague on details….as I mentioned I do state empathathicly when I get in these boats, I am new to this and have fringe knowledge in many areas…..but I hate to think if the guy just got his Dad’s old set of speakers @ 106! And never paid attention before, that I might have neglected to factor this spec! I wanted clarification on how to figure it for the variables in each system.
And now I see (better) why tube amplification (single stage) is not even just a ‘type sound’ preference in a system like yours its practically a necessity to reduce interjecting added distortion.

Bless her heart. (I almost heard a sigh in that one SH ).

You poor thing…. You probably come here to get away from … (if you have one like me), whom is always asking…”But WHY does it work that way?”…….and run into…( 20 questions - SLL)

[This message has been edited by Smart Little Lena (edited January 26, 2003).]