Or put in yet another way, if I have 105db/1w speakers and a 30 watt amp, and I listen at 85 db with 115 db peaks my amp will be running between about 0.01 watt average with short trips to 10 watts. Pretty reasonable range.

In a second case, where I mated a set of 90db/1w speakers with a 200 watt amp, listening at the same SPL, the amp would average around (a bit under) 0.5 watt with peaks about 300 watts, or deep into clipping.

So in the second case, 200 watts isn't as loud, or 'big enough', as the first case. This is where (IMO) the 'bigger is better' amp generalization comes from, because it's almost always true.

In short, one size doesn't fit all at all. The majority of speakers I personally know of that fit most needs run anywhere from 85-95 db/1watt, or at least 10x less sensitive that the ones 'hound uses. His system, although almost certainly excellent, is also atypical.

In the more typical range I'd use anywhere from 100-1000 watts, which not coincidentally is where many amps land powerwise. So I guess I'm saying IMO you've done fine so far.