“You know, every time I have powered a very high efficiency speaker with a relatively high power amp, my reaction has always been "YUCK". These speakers just sound better with an amp that is putting out a higher percentage of it's total power, rather than just idling along near it's noise and 'grundge' floor.”

You learn something new here every day!….More please Soundhound (if you have time and are in the mood) …although I can vaguely grasp the theory or commonsense behind this…(that it’s a very valid effect).

I’m very curious…and how do I put pen to paper to figure out power needed for channels run (2 Vs 7) so if I can expect a possible short draw out to all at any given time depending on source, including speaker eff. Etc. And be sure of enough to handle the hard hitting and sometimes loud transients of HT action DVD’s etc. which can hit all speakers at once occasionally on DTS ES discrete etc.

I was just swinging so firmly to ‘more power’ in fact was placing myself in the mentality that lots of excess power ideling(in reserve) was a good thing. . Because of some real world differences I heard in demo’s of speakers which had pretty good amperage (or well known amperage) but did not sound like the ‘most’ was being got out of them, in fact they felt anemic and power starved….
These were specifically Sonis Fabers, Martin Logans, Vienna Acoustics, and a few others with B&K separates and top of the line Pioneer receiver

Let me restate…your sentence has the ring of ‘validity’ to me but I’ve never run into (the thought) before. How do I cut the mustard? (never clip and stay out of running on average play in grunge range??)

PS. Nice bikes! I went to visit the distant relatives in very tiny town in Missippi many years ago with my Grandmother. Only time I had non-parental acess (mine forbid "riding on those things!"). I chased a cousin into some farm field at full throttle and suddenly discovered I was in 4 feet of nettles (I was bleeding ouch!) ...trying to get back out at practicly idle with shorts on!. But sans nettles it was a great time having access to those for the only time in my life!

[This message has been edited by Smart Little Lena (edited January 24, 2003).]