If we are polling, and being female (who usually rate ‘looks’ high) I guess I’d have to say I’ve accomplished a 190. At first glancing at the Outlaw I was disappointed it did not have what I considered the elegant quietly unassuming good looks of my old receiver. Which was brushed Aluminum. (which some people hate).

Then as every piece was replaced in the last 12 months, I ended up with ‘all black’ faceplates…on everything……luck of the draw. When our infamous AV cabinet was completed and everything slid in. Everyone commented on the ‘look’ of the setup, how it looked imposing (but took a backseat) to the display which sits just above. The all black ‘wall’ (3 and 3) was a nice look, which did not distract from the screen. Then I went and purchased a new HD STB, faceplate silver. Screwed the whole theme up and even the teenagers commented…. Why’d you get silver? (Only comes in). Well so happens this unit was returned and I’m back to midnight across the board. . But it made me realize that unlike shoe and dress matching  . There’s no telling ‘what’ color/material I’ll end up with down the road, since I can only buy for performance (not theme) it will just have to be…’luck of the draw’.

I’m used to ‘Car’ guys who will shoot you if you lean on their paint and ‘Aviators’ who shoot you if you walk down a wing wrong. But I never realized ‘AV’ guys ‘CARED’ so much about aesthetics’.

I was admiring the sheer good looks and poetry of line in a ‘Total Control’ Steering rack mechanism the other day. It almost looked like modern art rather than a front end part, so it is nice when the ‘outer’ satisfies (…. a perk on top of a buy for ‘function’).
Would not bother me if they changed it, but does not bother me a bit, - if they don’t…in fact….
“I’ve grown accustomed to your face”.

Now if they can do something to give it the kind of distinctive good looks of most Ferrari’s or a Shelby Series One - Vs say any Sedan……I might sit up and take notice. They just don’t have that much sheet metal surface area to play with in AV.

Hey do you think we could change the 'horse' to the Ferrari stallion!