Things must have gotten a bit rowdy here last night, since my internet connection was fried today, and I just got it back. Well, as they say, if noth'in gets broke, 'ya ain't having a good party.

Bosso:

I wasn't kidding about the 10 watts! With 106db for one watt efficiency, you can see that I am just crusin' at even 100 or more db SPL. The amp (tube, of course) that runs the woofers on my main speakers can put out 60 watts, and they must reproduce only down to 60Hz. You can see that it doesn't take much power with that much efficiency. The subs are a different story though - I use all of those 1000 watts sometimes when reproducing bass down in the range of 20Hz or below. Even the subwofers are pretty efficient however as such speakers go. Each side has two 8 cubic foot enclosures and the subs are in a 3/4 space acoustically (i.e., a corner) , so there is a lot of room gain. Also, there's a great deal of mutual coupling between the two woofers on each side, and between the left side and right side of the room on deep bass. I'm probably getting a total of 12db or so more signal from room gain and mutual coupling.

I'm waiting on SACD / DVD-A until I can get a universal player that is a couple generations more along the obsolence path. I've gotta be truthful too, that I find it a bit weird the way some popular music albums are being mixed/re-mixed. I just can't get used to important instruments coming from my side or behind me - it activates my 'fight or flight' animal instincts, and distracts me from the overall message of the music. Maybe I'm just too steeped in the traditional 'performance model' of having performers in front of me. Maybe I'll get over it with time. One interesting bit of trivia - when quadraphonic (yes, I was alive then) was being introduced in the early 1970s, one of the big classical demos was Berlioz's Requiem which was originally arranged to four brass choirs in the four corners of the church. You couldn't go to a demo room without hearing it.

In the meantime, I hear a lot of surround music in my work, and mix and edit a good deal too (mostly orchestral scores).

[This message has been edited by soundhound (edited January 14, 2003).]