Kevin:

To answer your questions:

I certainly do _not_ advocate using tube amps in a home theater (or stereo) unless one is willing and able to spend the necessary money, has _compatible_ components, and willing to take the time necessary to maintain them. They are certainly not for everybody. I have a long background in electronic design, specifically dealing with sound equipment, so I have the ability to get the requsite performance from them. I have deeply modified all my tube gear - nothing is 'stock'.

The tube replacement interval is about every 5 years for power tubes (much longer in a couple of my power amps) and 10 or more years for low-level tubes. Adjusted for inflation, the tubes themselves are as cheap or cheaper than they were in the 1950s. A good 6L6 output tube can be had for $15. Having regulated power supplies for the filaments is one crucial thing that must be done to get the maximum life.

You may be adverse to distortion in your equipment, but don't make the mistake of focusing on that one parameter too much at the expense of looking at other things that can contaminate an audio signal as much, or more so! The one people seem to overlook, which is vital, is room dimentions and acoustics, for one.