Actually now, there are a lot of solid state designs that don't use much if any negative feedback, i.e., the Japanese in the early 90's using negative feedback to get great measurement numbers but poor sound. And the backlash against that.

Never condemned tubes. Just not for me. I guess here's some questions: for a 7 channel system, and wanting to play movies, multichannel audio at 75 to 85 dB with enough headroom to not get any distortion from overloading the amp, how much would that run for a tube setup? And then how often do you have to replace tubes to make sure that no sound quality degredation is occurring?

All fair questions when comparing the two.

Quote:
And, do you REALLY think that I would use an amplifier that had as much distortion as you say in my system, which is used for critical listening to master, edit and mix music? I don't think so.

No, of course not. You like the sound that you get. But I don't even like the idea of distortion. Kind of like being a germ-a-phobe. I had Velodyne servo subs for 4 years, and now a Vandersteen sub with FFEC (feed forward error correction) for the past 2 years, both manufacturer's use mechanisms to minimize distortion, for a reasonable cost, without going long-throw or big driver area.

All I know, is that the Rotel 1066 doesn't have a tuner, but the 950 does...

KevinVision 7.1 ... New and Improved !!