Let's see if I can remember *my* list"

1) Outlaw has BM on the analog inputs, the Rotel doesn't.

2) Both have the double bass problem on the 5.1 inputs, but if you do use the 80 Hz analog crossover on the 950, no double bass. There is a way to get around the double bass on the Rotel: buy a $249 Outlaw ICBM.

3) You must have the Rotel connected to a display (TV) to access the menus. You can use the 950's own screen for this.

4) The 1066 has 24/96 DACs. The Outlaw has 24/192's.

5) The Outlaw has a tuner, the Rotel doesn't.

6) I know that the 950 has mono rears for any of it's 7.1 modes. I have been told by users of the 1066 that it has stereo rears. But this seems suspicious in that both use the same Cirrus DSP engine. But it could be true. (An ad I saw recently said, "... the enhanced discrete stereo surround of 7.1," FWIW.)

7) You can upgrade the software on the 1066. Can't on the 950.

8) I think both of them could look better. The 950 needs to get rid of the green power button (I've alread put black electrical tape on mine ), and the rubber volume knob feels cheap. My opinion. The 1066 looks a lot better, but to me, put the volume knob on the right, and re-center everything else. To much "empty space" on the left side of the unit.

A nice looking pre/pro? The B&K Ref 50. I think the new Sunfire looks terrible, as well as the Anthem. To many buttons and graphics on the front.

9) A 5 year warranty that is transferable on the 950. I know that the 1066 warranty is not, but I don't know how long it is. (2 years?)

10) The 1066 lists for $1500 or so. The 950 is $899. My local dealer wasn't discounting the 1066 at all when I asked Sept/Oct. The lowest I've seen people pay is maybe $1250. That's still more than 1/3 the price of the 950.

Performance? I haven't seen a direct comparison between the latest (blue dot/equivalent), or even the red dot (or equivalent) version of the 950 and the 1066.

Early comments were that the Rotel was "warmer" and the 950 was "brighter". IMO, behind those words is this: if I want warmth, I'd buy tubed gear. Along with all the harmonic distortion you get too. "Bright" is generally taken to be more accurate and revealing. "Warm" is more forgiving of the source." "Bright" isn't. Me? I want accuracy, no double bass, and BM on the 5.1 analog inputs. But everyone has to decide what they each want...

[This message has been edited by Kevin C Brown (edited January 13, 2003).]

KevinVision 7.1 ... New and Improved !!