Soundhound- One question:

I too have Klipsch speakers and have the hiss issue. I currently have the mid-June modification 950 that is "slightly" (1-2 dB) quieter than my original mid-May unit. I had a "Red Dot" that, while quieter from about -15 to +10, actually had more hiss (the non-volume dependant variety) from -15 on down. That has been my issue. Virtually all of my listening is done with the volume control between -15 and -35. Changing trim levels does not effect this "noise floor". From your early posts on this thread it sounds like this "noise floor" is now volume dependant. On my current unit the hiss IS volume dependant from about -15 on up to +10, but not below that. Is the hiss level on the new unit actually volume dependant in the range of -15 on down? By the way, I believe I calibrated my trims with the volume at -15 and to 70dB on the meter (easier to read 70dB on the meter than 75dB from across the room). This should give me the same results as calibrating to 75dB with the volume control set to -10. My trims are 0 for both mains, +1 for the center, +4 for right surround, +5 for left surround, and +5 for sub. Of course the sub level is arbitrary since it has it's own level control. Using the "Get Over It" track from the Eagles Hell Freezes Over DVD, I get an AVERAGE SPL at my seat of 95 dB with the volume set to -15. That is LOUD! I know your speakers are even more efficient than mine, so I know that you understand the importance of the hiss level at lower volume settings. If the hiss is not volume control dependant in this range, I assume that having trim level effect hiss level, and the 4 dB "real" improvement would be worthwhile by themselves. Do you think there actually is a 12 dB "effective" reduction in the -15 to -35 range (or on the new unit, this would be roughly -23 to -43 if calibrated the same)? If so, that would be HUGE! I guess, put another way, I listen at average SPL's at my seat generally between 75 dB and 95 dB. Do you think I should see 12 dB of diffence at my seat?

Thanks for your insight, and yes, I concur, I believe you should be in the Outlaw "Hall of Fame" along with Gonk, and I believe Miss Lena should be "Entertainer of the Year".

- Skyfish

[This message has been edited by Skyfish (edited January 05, 2003).]