Scott:

Yep, you've got a bit of a problem there. First a little background: The new 950 has about 8db more output for the same setting on the volume knob than the old 950. One of my original recommendations to Outlaw was to compensate for this by re-calibrating the volume control so that "00" was actually 8db lower in level, so the net output would be the same as the old 950. The volume would have gone +18db above "00" instead of the current +10db. The hiss reduction would be preserved, and there would be additional headroom above "00" for those time when it's needed. Unfortunately, this would have necessitated a firmware re-write which would have delayed the release too much. Therefore that "re-calibration" needs to be done in the trims.

You must have either a power amp with a high sensitivity or speakers with very high sensitivity. I assume you don't have input volume controls on your power amps: if you do, stop here and calibrate for 75db as per my post earlier in this thread.

Now the nitty gritty - You won't have enough range on the trims to get the level low enough to get 75db with the main volume control at "00". Therefore I think the only course of action for you would be to do another re-calibration on your system when you get the new 950, but do it with the main volume control at minus 8db rather than at "00" Your "reference" setting on the new 950 would therefore be -08db rather than "00" - This is important in order to realize the reduction in hiss! I think you will find that after the re-calibration, your trims are about where they are now.

Remember to think: "-08" equals "00" - I know it's a bit inconvenient, but that is the best that can be done given the sensitivity of your amp/speaker combination.

PS: You can also use -10db on the main volume control as a reference if that is more convenient.

[This message has been edited by soundhound (edited December 24, 2002).]