OK, thought I'd weigh in here since I've been active on this forum in the past.

I've owned the original, and now am on my Red Dot version. My assoc equipment is B&W 804's mains and other B&W center and surrounds, Sony 9000 DVD/SACD player, HSU sub, Rotel 985 5 channel amp (and I'm waiting for my new Sony FP..pant pant pant).

Though my last pre/pro was a Rotel prologic (so limited experience with DD DTS, etc) I'd have to say I'm extremely satisfied with the sound quality of the 950 for Home Theater.

I don't care much about features that don't directly impact sound quality, and I'm plenty pleased with the sound quality I'm getting. I've mentioned here before that I've been lukewarm on listening to music through the 950, but in its price range I've also auditioned the Rotel 1066 and felt the same way.

Considering the competition and my needs, I still think the 950 is an absolute bargain. And rather than pop for a $4000 model that does both music and HT well, I'll happily keep my 950 look for an inexpensive way to connect my Rotel pre into the system for the best of both worlds.

Heartily recommended!