Sorry, it's a bit hard for us poor pooches to parallel process, so I have to bark these out one at a time:

ralittle & sdrari: As they used to say in the breath mint commercials, "Stop! You're both right!" On one hand, the HD signals are (almost always) compressed in some fashion or another. However, the key is that with DVI/HDMI the signal from the incoming (compressed in some fashion) source is uncompressed to full bandwidth for transport to the display. THe purpose is so that it is (virtually) impossible to record due to the bandwidth requirements. Yes, in theory you could re-encode and record or re-transmit in another fashion, but that is why they will impose a a CP standard of some sort.

Will: The Version 1.0/Revision 0 standard IS dated September 2002, and one can only presume that it is what the Audio Revolution people are barking about.

ALL: As they say on TV: "But wait, there's more..." Having run out of paper for me to go on, my master put down a discarded copy of today's EE Times with an article about how the XCA copy protection standard, long considered to be out of the picture, may resurface thanks to Philips adopting it. My fellow cannine Nipper and his friends were instrumental in developing this, along with the doggies at Zenith, and it uses Smart Cards to offer renewable security as in satellite boxes. Also has the ability to allow copy never/copy once/copy always type of control, along with watermarking, which is what the studios really want. Gee, seeing that makes me wanna pee on it. Better than the Daily News!

Sorry to be the cause of confusion, but all a dog can do is bring the newspaper in from the porch, not write the stories.

But what do I know, I'm only a dog!

ARF ARF, says Iggy

ARF, ARF says Iggy