Hound:

(Always a pleasure to speak with a fellow doggie!)

I guess you're right, to those of us who are old doggies the connection between the original CBS/Goldmark field sequential color system and the way in which color is created for the DLP projectors may be frightening, but I assure you, from one hound to another, that this is nothing like the old days. First of all, the wheels are smaller, so visions of the TV going wild and turning into a meat slicer are not needed.

Next, the speeds vary, since the frame rate is tied to the type of color wheel used. Remember, the DLP chip has to show the "color" frame that is synced to the color that is in front of it -- then that, in turn, has to be synced to the actual video frame rate. That's where you get the multiples from.

In SCR, or in the Philips Engaze system for single-chip LCoS, the image scrolls, rather than switches, but the idea is the same.

At first, color wheels for DLP sounded a bit looney, but they do work, and reliably so. I'd have more doubts about the rotating prisms in Engaze.

FOr those who want more info on color wheels as they are used in DLP and similar products, consult two of the prime manufacturers' web sites. That will dispell some of the opinions given here with (perish the thought!) first hand data. Look here:

http://www.optics.unaxis.com/images/PDF/unaxis_pd.pdf

or

www.ocli.com

But what do I know, I'm only a dog!

ARF ARF says Iggy

ARF, ARF says Iggy