Iggy,
Quote:

There are many amplifiers made in Asia, though as you approach the high-end they do tend to come more from the US for a variety of reasons -- not the least of which are the cost factors related to sheer physical weight that I mentioned previously.

They make cars, trucks and other heavy duty parts in Asia that are imported here.

As you mentioned, there's not much R & D expense in making an amplifier. If a new amp costs so much more than a new pre/pro, because of the amp's sturdier construction and (largely low-tech) electronic parts content and manufacturing process, aren't those cheaper in Asia than the USA?

I'm sure there's a reason that somebody like Outlaw and AT and Sherbourn don't import as a group, 200 wpc amps from an Asian outfit like Easttech, to resell here, for under what USA 200 wpc amps go for. But I haven't figured it out.

I can see why Outlaw and AT and Sherbourn might want to distinguish their pre/pro's, even though they don't really. I can't exactly see why they distinguish their amps, even though they do. Personally, I wouldn't care that much if the amp I had was 2 or 3 or 5 years old, as long as it works. As long as the amp has the necessary wpc rating, the pre/pro matters so much more to me than the amp! I doubt I'm alone.

[This message has been edited by Will (edited October 09, 2002).]