I believe that jitter is actually a very small part of why CDs don't sound as good as lps. I think it's simply that 44.1 kHz/16 bit encoding just can't do justice to the top end (high frequencies) of an analog recording.

www.jitter.de is a good place to learn about jitter. They sell a product, but the background info is good too.

DD/DTS are NOT affected by jitter because they are packeted data streams. No matter what anyone tells you.

Also,

Quote:
3.) apply auric illuminator (by audience, it comes with a blackening marker)

I have heard that this stuff makes SACDs/DVD-As unplayable. (Something to do with whatever happens to the surface of the disc, and the higher freq laser used. Or something.) Maybe on audio asylum or somewhere. (I saw it referenced on HTF.)

Oh, balanced power also helps to improve jitter. Saw on Equi=tech's site somewhere that peak jitter is reduced by 2/3, and average jitter is reduced by 1/2. Don't know if this applies to typical AC filters though.

If you look on the Secret's site, under power (or line) conditioners, they also observed this. www.hometheaterhifi.com.

Jitter matters, but it's the CD format where the real problem lies...

KevinVision 7.1 ... New and Improved !!