Well thanks, Bosso, as I climb back on the 'ol soapbox....

I have found that there is an _incredible_ lack of knoledge about the very basics of how to get the signal to CD accurately. It really amazes me the things I hear coming out of the mouths of some of the people who master some of the CDs that we all listen to. Basic things like how to avoid digital clipping for instance...amazing!!! My own take is that the CD standard is acceptable _IF_ there is no more than one generation removed from the master tape, and the listening level is not elevated too much that the digital noise floor is audible. Unfortunately, this is the exception rather than the rule.

One interesting story you might be interested in regarding Dolby digital. When I am on the dubbing stage after all the final mixing is done on a feature film, and am doing my final paperwork, they are usually making the Dolby Digital master of the final film soundtrack. As I am working, I have more than a few times snaped my head up suddenly and said "what is _that_ shit!" The mixing engineers always respond: "Oh, we're playing back the Dolby Digital master to check it" I say "oh" and go on with my work........