Lena,
Quote:
I have noticed when source is satellite/stereo sometimes DPL11 has a near match simulation to DD 3/2.1.
Absolutely! When people think of matrix decoders, the sound of old Pro Logic usually comes to mind. Too bad. Not enough people realise just how good mordern matrix decoders (PL II, LOGIC7, Circle Surround II) can be.
Quote:
However certain feeds (or recordings) seem to give surround modes very little to work with and whole vast lengths of a movie can still be weighed heavily (or entirely) into the center speaker. Very unappealing. The next time I run into this sit. I’ll try center crossover higher to see if this spreads the stage to a more enveloping effect.
That's fine for spreading out the centre channel content of discrete 5.1 sources. But for listening to 2-channel material via PL II, there may be an easier way: use the Centre Width parameter on the PL II Music mode. Don't let the "Music" moniker prevent you from using that mode for movies. Instead, think of it as PL II with adjustments.

If you find a recording (TV, movie, music) too bunched up around the centre speaker, use the Centre Width control to spread centre channel content out towards the front Left & Right speakers. Keep in mind that you can fine tune the spread as you have eight (count 'em, 8) distinct steps from Min (ALL mono content steered to the centre channel) to Max (NO content steered to centre, i.e. Phantom mode).

On recordings that you think are too flat or boring, you can turn the Dimension parameter ON to give the sound a wrap-around effect. While that effect, obviously, is not appropriate for all recordings, it is surprisingly useful on some older soundtracks and some dryly-recorded music.

You can also adjust the balance you hear, between the fronts and the surrounds, by using the Soundstage control. It works kinda like real life: i.e., as you approach the front of a concert hall, you hear more direct sound and less ambience; as you move to the rear of the hall, the direct sound gets a little quieter as you hear more ambient info. The three settings (Front, Neutral, Rear) mimick this effect quite well, and can really help give better envelopment to recordings that decode with too-tame surrounds.

So before you adjust crossovers, give the PL II Music adjustments a try. The very few times I've used PL II on movies or TV shows, it's always been the Music mode.

Best,
Sanjay