Soundhound, I send the CD signal directly to my pre-amp using the CD/DVD unit's analog RCA outputs, and the DVD signal from the same unit to the 950 using the CD/DVD unit's optical output. Using "Y" phono jacks, the pre-amp and the 950 both feed to the amp that powers my main speakers, so the only trick in this otherwise straightforward cabling arrangement is not to have the pre-amp and the 950 powered up at the same time. (If I eventually make that mistake, I very much doubt that any harm will be done, but it sure won't sound pretty). The 950 is sitting on top of my stereo pre-amp so has been easy to remember so far.

SLL, I really didn't need a manual for doing the interconnects. Its pretty straightforward (I think) for anybody who has been accustomed to separates - just read the labels on the jacks. I'm still finding the mode stuff confusing. No doubt its in part just the difficulties of adjusting from a straight-analog system with no menus, remotes, etc. In that vein, perhaps there is assumed knowledge in the design of the manual that the rest of you already had. Or perhaps I'm just not very bright. But I find the 950's UI to be far from intuitive, and the manual in that regard neither as clear nor as helpful as it might be, but also certainly better than some manuals I've tried to wade through.

All in all, its more like using a piece of software than audio equipment, and just like complex software I'm sure I'll learn my way around with practice.