This topic is perhaps more appropriate for the "hissy-fit" forum.

Be that as it may, here are my observations on hiss:

1. A quality audio system with no input should exhibit no audible hiss at even less-than-normal listening distance (I will arbitrarily define as 6 feet). If it does, the problem is with the system and most likely the amplifier(s). My normal listening distance is about 20 feet and the remaining comments are based on that distance. I do not hear ANY hiss from my system in no-actual-input mode at that distance from any source EXCEPT the 950. At my normal listening distance, the hiss from the 950 is detectable but very low. I should perhaps also say that while I do not have "perfect pitch", etc. etc. my hearing is tested every year as part of the physical demanded by my employer and it happens that it is excellent i.e. quite sensitive [despite the abuse from loud music during my wild and crazy twenties!].

2. Beyond that, the expected / acceptable hiss depends upon the quality of the source. I still listen to much vinyl, and hiss / surface noise exceeds what I hear on my 950 - by a lot for some recordings, not by much for a few, and by very little for my best. Hiss from my tuner seems to depend on the quality of the station source and from most but not all stations is below that from the 950 on movie inputs; from the best stations is almost (not quite) inaudible. Hiss from CDs OR DVDs when played through my analog stereo system is totally inaudible even from less-than-normal listening distances (in many ways their only saving grace, pardon the preaching), and this is what I would have expected from a digital source had I not read the many posts before ordering.

3. So my standard digital audio source - CDs - is notable for lack of hiss/noise. The HT experenience through dolby / dts / etc. is not. Is it a problem with pre/pros? A problem with home theater / dolby / dts / etc? A problem with signal complexity? Bottom line: I listend to cheaper units, I listend to expensive units, I listened to outrageous units. The level of hiss varied - generally on a curve related to price - but in no case reached zero at normal listening levels.