How soon we forget... Hiss is good? Because it lets all of the original signal through?

I don't think so. Especially if the hiss is obstructing the original signal. Especially if the hiss wasn't part of the original signal in the 1st place, and is being added by the pre/pro.

I have had analog preamps before. Adcom & Nakamichi. Even with late 60's/early 70's lps from ANALOG TAPE RECORDINGS, they both were much quieter than the 950.

I personally don't care if there is high end gear out there that hisses. Unacceptable. If I had a piece like that, I'd return it. Especially if I paid a whole lot more than the 950 for it. The 950 hisses more than my Sony TA-E9000ES did. Not because the Sony gated its performance, not because there were mute circuits cycling in and out, and not because the Sony was adding anything that wasn't in the source. But that's what the 950 is doing. I personally can't believe that people are actually making excuses for the hiss in the 950 now, or trying to rationalize that the hiss is good in that it's letting the source through unimpeded...

Back to your normally scheduled programming...

KevinVision 7.1 ... New and Improved !!