Quote:
Originally posted by soundhound:
You might want to wait for awhile for a 2nd generation combination DVD/DVD-A/SACD player. Pioneer makes one now, but personally, I'm waiting.

Yeah, me too. But I'm also enjoying some DVD-V compatible tracks on DVD-Audio disks.

Quote:
.... As far as the supposed increased resolution of 24 bit and 96K, well, I don't think you would be able to really tell if it were well done in 16 bit and 44.1k. The differences are _extremely_ small, to inaudible .... The increased sample rate? well, that too, in my opinion is pretty much wasted .... 44.1 is cutting it a bit close to the audible band.

That's pretty much my experience too. My opinion, based on observation and some technical knowledge, is that implementing a D->A->D playback system that has minimal distortion below 20kHz and a 22kHz Nyquist frequency is a tough job. I would have rather seen a 50-60 kHz sample rate, not because it would be a better system, but simply because it would be easier to implement the system to uniformly high quality levels.

I firmly believe that CD got off to a bad start simply due to poor implementations [which may still be happening] and in reality can be a perfectly fine sounding format.