I just bought a Behringer DSP 8024 Ultra Curve Pro. I had read that it is "grainy" and causes a "loss in resolution". My experience over the last few days with it is that it added NO noise or hiss to the signal, and that it made the little speakers jump to attention, giving them a livelier sound than before. I bought the calibration mic and used the "auto eq" feature.

I may be wrong, but after many years of using different equalizers, I am convinced that using one to smooth out a speakers response can make most any fairly good speaker blossom into a very good speaker. Variations in frequency response are responsible for colored sound and muddy bass. An EQ can help with these problems, just ask anyone who uses a Behringer Feedback Destroyer to tame room resonances through their subwoofer, turning boomy, muddy bass into clean, hard hitting bass.

Maybe my setup of speakers and EQ would not be ideal for those who have spent tens of thousands of dollars on their audio electronics, but for us, we were able to maximize sound quality while keeping our smallish living room from looking like a speaker showroom (except, of course, for the SVS ).