Quote:
Originally posted by bossobass:

3.) soundhound, did you also see the approx. 180 shift in phase that kcb observed with your test disc?

Are you referring to acoustic phase of the sub to the mains, or electrical absolute phase? I didn't do the latter test of phase (really polarity) when I did noise measurements.

I don't use the LFE output of the 950: I have an analog crossover in-line with my main left and right front speakers at 60hZ which direct the bass to stereo subwoofers which sit next to their respective speakers. Used this way, I don't experience any problems regarding phase.

I'm a huge believer in stereo bass, since I've found that low frequencies ARE directional to some extent, especially with recordings of things like pipe organs or any recording which captures a lot of low frequency ambience. Having only one sub, it can be difficult to integrate into the system, and can interfere with the imaging of the other speakers, as some of you have found. I think this issue gets even more important in the playback of SACD and DVD-A. The mono LFE channel was designed for _cinema_ , not music.

OK, soundhound, take deep breath, step off soapbox, It'll be ok now.......

[This message has been edited by soundhound (edited October 05, 2002).]